Bef on the road

Sunday, September 17, 2006

4 jobs in 7 weeks!!

I have finally landed a 3 month job but in the time since I last had one, it had been about 4 weeks, so I am rather happy now I've got this one!

After going to Paris, I spent a good week or 2 getting in contact with all my agencies to see what work they had available for me. Because I had been lucky in getting a job after arriving in London after 3 weeks, I had only signed up with a few. But now I've signed up with about 7 of them and had to go for interviews with each one, which was rather tiring. But I'm quite good at telling my life story now :)

I am really trying to get a banking job (I worked at the National Bank of NZ back home) so am being a little bit picky about what jobs they put me forward for. Admin/receptionist jobs seem quite easy to come by and I finally took one at a law firm answering phones using a computerised switchboard. Now this was certainly not a huge career move but it was just for a week and was quite fun! I left that job to go to another law firm called Denton Wilde Sapte where I was a database assistant. I was pretty much updating their database when employees made changes in their contacts online. And also helping out with a huge mailout because they were changing their name. I learnt a lot from this job while I was there for a month but once again this wasn't a career move so took another job.

The next one was at Merrill Lynch which is a huge global investment bank, awesome to have on my cv. This was also a role updating a database and was fun again. I worked with some other cool temps and we got on real well. I was going to stay at this job for a month but another agency put me forward for a finance assistant position at a commodities trading company, which is where I currently am.

I haven't had that many great job offers but on the Tues and Wed of that week, I was offered 3 jobs, so I could actually choose! Agencies over here want the sale from you as well so help you every step of the way. I was lucky enough to be able to bargain my pay up as well, just because this other position was offering me more. I chose this one because it was a finance role, which I hadn't had yet, it's closer to home, it was more pay, and it's a 3 month position, which is nice security!!

The company is called Trafigura (www.trafigura.com) and I've heard that a lot of people came from banks like Merrill Lynch so its promising. I have so far done a lot of filing but I'm hoping there's more 'real' work next week!!!

Three other perks which I found about when I started are: unlimited coke, diet coke, orange juice, apple juice and orangina, its casual day every friday so I can wear jeans and jandels and I work with 2 computer screens, side-by-side. Not sure why I have 2 screens but everyone else does, and its quite fun dragging things from one screen to another (sorry if that doesn't make sense to some of you!!).

So I'll be in this position until the end of 3 months and then who knows from there. I'm hoping a position will arise out of this somehow but I won't know until later. But it feels like a step in the right direction :)

1 Comments:

  • Free coke!? Free orange juice?! Duel head monitors?! Sounds better than what my work do :/. All we get is free coffee, no dress code (i.e. some people don't even wear shoes to work), and contaminated water :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 21, 2006 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home