Bef on the road

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Anzac Day in London

I had planned on going to Gallipoli but didnt make it in the end. I did however go to an Anzac day service at Westminister Abbey. It was a free event but you needed to send away to get a ticket and they asked that you take some ID with you as well, they're all very security conscience over here. Although I guess that isnt surprising seeing as its not quite a year since the London bombings.
I arrived at 11am for the wreath laying service which was very moving. There were diplomats from NZ, Australia, Turkey and Britain who all spoke about that day back on 25 April.

After this service, it was on to Westminister Abbey for the formal service. Amazing being inside this historical cathedral. Have seen it on TV but was still impressed seeing it in person. I sat next to an aussie girl who was also by herself and we were surrounded by other kiwi's and aussie's. The official guests sat in the main part while we were in the second half. I wanted to take photos inside but we weren't allowed. Was awesome to sing the National Anthem in English and Maori in there, made me miss home just a little bit!


Album of the rest of my photos:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106004337

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home